What do I do if someone uses my identity to open a charge account or checking account in my name?

You may reduce your risk of being victimized and minimize the loss if you do the things listed below.

Charge or Credit Account

Immediately contact the issuer of the credit, the credit card company, such as American Express or Visa, a department store, or a bank. We also recommend contacting someone who works in the Loss Prevention department for the company, instead of someone in their customer service department.

When your American Express, Visa, or any other card is used to purchase merchandise, you should also contact the store where the card was used. Again, contact someone who works in Loss Prevention for the store and not someone in customer service.

Contact all 3 of the credit reporting companies and report the incident to each of them. See contact information for the credit bureaus.

Show All Answers

1. My bank has sent me cancelled checks, which I did not write or authorize. What should I do?
2. Someone has been forging my name on stolen or counterfeit checks. I know one of the checks was cashed at a merchant that had video surveillance. What will happen?
3. When someone forged my checks, the person’s driver’s license number was recorded. Why isn’t that good enough to establish their identity?
4. I keep receiving “bad check” notices from merchants. What am I supposed to do?
5. Why is the original document required to file charges?
6. My checks or credit cards were stolen in the mail. Can I report them stolen?
7. What if my checks or credit cards are stolen from my purse?
8. What do I do if someone uses my identity to open a charge account or checking account in my name?
9. How do I contact the credit bureaus or the check verification companies?
10. How can I reduce my risk of becoming a victim of fraud?
11. My driver’s license was stolen and someone is using my number. What do I do?