- Guide to Online Permitting
- Public Portal Guidance
- Setting up a Portal Account
- Apply online
- Online Payments -now available
- Request an inspection
Online Public Portal Information
Through the City of Fife’s Online Public Portal, the public can research local building trends, apply for a permit, view maps, pay fees, submit digital architectural drawings, request inspections, and review public notice postings, among many other features. All this can be done anytime, anywhere, and on any device.
Access the portal at https://ci-fife-wa.smartgovcommunity.com/Public/Home.
The Public Portal is the public facing view of the City of Fife’s permit software, SmartGov. Through the Public Portal, anyone can search for, and view details of most permitting activity in the city’s permit system.
PERMIT SEARCH: In the Applications section, anyone can perform basic and advanced searches of the permitting system. Users can view and map results, and view details of the individual permits.
PUBLIC COMMENT: In the Public Notice section, anyone can view and download documents associated with a permit requiring public notice and a comment period. If you see a yellow notice board on a piece of property, additional details on that permit can be found in the Public Notice section.
PARCEL SEARCH: In the Parcel Search section, anyone can search for and view data and permits related to a particular parcel.
VISIT THE PUBLIC PORTAL HERE:
VIEW A CLICK-BY-CLICK VIDEO GUIDE TO THE PUBLIC PORTAL HERE:
Creating a Portal Account provides additional access within the Public Portal, allowing online applications, document submissions, tracking the permits through the review/approval process, reviewing deficiency reports, uploading revised plans and online issuance of an approved permit.
ACCESS CODE: Portal Accounts must be connected to a “contact” associated with a permit, in order to perform functions for that permit. For those who have applied for or received permits from the City of Fife in the past eight years, you already have an access code created. This is located on a receipt of invoice for your last permit. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help finding your access code.
NOTIFICATIONS: To utilize the full functionality of the Online Permit Center please set your email notifications in your portal account. Those notifications allow you to determine when you want to be notified of a change to the status of a permit or inspection, as well as other notification options. Utilizing email notifications allows you to stay up-to-date on the status of your permit.
SET UP A PORTAL ACCOUNT HERE:
VIEW A ONE-SHEET QUICK GUIDE TO SETTING UP A PORTAL ACCOUNT HERE:
VIEW A CLICK-BY-CLICK VIDEO GUIDE TO SETTING UP A PORTAL ACCOUNT HERE:
Applying FOR A PERMIT Online
Once you have created a portal account you can apply for any permit though the public portal.
KEEP IN MIND WHEN APPLYING:
- PROJECT DESCRIPTION: It is important to be as detailed as possible. As stated in the guidance video below, providing a complete project description will assist city staff in reviewing and issuing your permit in a timely manner.
- ENTER COMPLETE INFORMATION: Accuracy helps ensure fees are calculated correctly at the time of application. When the application asks to identify the number of fixtures, mechanical equipment or signs, be as accurate as possible. Other permits might require you to choose an occupancy/construction type and enter the square footage to determine the fee. Please assure that information is entered correctly. Providing incomplete or inaccurate information could result in delay of review and/or the permit fee changing once the permit has been reviewed.
- PERMIT TYPES: View this document (Permit Types) to determine which permit you need to apply for and the associated department.
- UPLOADED DOCUMENTS: Uploading documents is a feature of the Online Permit Center. Uploaded documents shall be a non-password protected PDF document and plans should be created for compatibility with Bluebeam Revue. You can submit numerous documents per submittal item if necessary.
- PERMIT STATUS: The “status” of your permit will change through the course of approval. This document identifies what that status means and if an action is required on the part of the applicant in order for the review/issuance process to move forward.
VIEW A ONE-SHEET QUICK GUIDE TO APPLYING FOR A PERMIT ONLINE HERE:
VIEW A CLICK-BY-CLICK VIDEO GUIDE TO APPLYING FOR A PERMIT ONLINE HERE:
Online Payments - NOW AVAILABLE!
You can now pay online for your permit related fees. Simply login using your portal account. Once you have filled out and submitted your application, you can click on the "PERMIT FEES" section to expand it, then click "PAY ONLINE".
You can also mail the permit payment to:
Fife City Hall
ATTN: Permit Center
5411 23rd St E
Fife, WA 98424
NOTE: When mailing in payments, please include a permit invoice or indicate the permit number on the check.
Requesting inspections online is another benefit of having a portal account connected to your permit.
CONNECTING YOUR ACCOUNT: In order to do this, connect your Portal Account to either the Applicant, Owner, Contractor or other contact associated with the permit. If you applied online, that connection is already made and you already have portal access.
SCHEDULING: Once an inspection request is submitted through the Online Permit Center, it still needs to be “scheduled” by the inspector. We attempt to accommodate requested times as much as possible, but it may be necessary to schedule inspections at a time other than the time requested. When the inspection is scheduled, you will receive a confirmation email, provided you have selected that option in your email notifications.
INSPECTION RESULTS: Inspection results will be available through the Online Permit Center once the inspector has entered them into the permit software.
REQUEST AN INSPECTION ONLINE HERE:
VIEW A ONE-SHEET QUICK GUIDE TO REQUESTING AN INSPECTION ONLINE HERE:
VIEW A CLICK-BY-CLICK VIDEO GUIDE TO REQUESTING AN INSPECTION ONLINE HERE:
CITY OF FIFE HELP:
If you cannot find the help you need above, please send an email to email@example.com with any questions. If your question is related to a specific permit, contact or portal account, please identify that in the email.
Dude Solutions, owners of SmartGov, provide guidance on their website as well. Please NOTE: this guidance is general and some of the guidance may not apply to Fife’s system due to unique jurisdictional configuration values.
Public Portal Public View
Creating a Portal Account
Managing a Portal Account
Applying for Permits