Public Records Request
NOTICE: Due to the COVID-19 crisis, on March 17, 2020, the Fife City Manager ordered that all city buildings be closed to the public until further notice, as well as ordering all non-essential employees to stay home. This means that until those buildings are reopened, there will be the following impacts on requesting records:
• Neither City Hall nor Fife Police Department will be able to accept in-person public records requests. Requests can still be submitted by email or mail.
• Any requests for records pursuant to GR 31.1 from the Fife Municipal Court must be submitted by mail.
• There will be no in-person inspection of records.
• No paper copies of records from previous records requests will be able to be picked up from City Hall.
• Our City Hall public records managers will not have access to City records that are maintained solely in paper form. Any requests for paper records will be logged, but processing will be delayed until City buildings are reopened. Police Department public records managers will have limited access to paper records, and will process as able.
PLEASE NOTE that because of the decreased access and fewer number of employees, public records requests and GR 31.1 requests will take significantly longer to process. We will keep you informed throughout the process, but we ask for your patience and understanding during this pandemic.
Public Records Request Information
Some public records are currently available on the City’s website at no cost. Examples include Council Meetings (current and past), Agendas, Minutes, Resolutions, Ordinances, Comprehensive Plan, and Budget.
If you have questions about obtaining public records or about the process, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at (253) 922-2489.
City of Fife Public Records
To make a request for City department or Police records, please complete a Public Records Request Form (PDF). Requests can be submitted by email, mail, or in-person during regular business hours at:
City of Fife
Fife Police Department
Fife Municipal Court Records
The City of Fife does not have access to, or maintain court files. To request Court records, please submit a Request for Access to Court Files or Records [PDF] by:
- Mail or In-Person:
Fife Municipal Court
3737 Pacific Highway E, Suite 100
Fife, WA 98424
- Fax: (253) 926-5435
Please note, the Court does not correspond via e-mail. For questions, contact the Fife Municipal Court at (253) 922-6635, and select “0” to speak with an employee, or visit. Hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays.
South Sound 911 – for CAD logs (typed 911 logs) and 911 audio recordings (available up to 90 days from date of incident)
Puyallup Tribal Police Department – call (253) 573-7800
- The city is not required to create documents in order to comply with a request for specific information. Rather, the city must produce existing records for review and copying.
- The city is not obligated to compile information from various records so that information is in a form that is more useful to the requester.
- If a requester has not reviewed or claimed records within 30 days of notice that records are available, or fails to make payment, the request shall be deemed abandoned and closed.
- If requested records contain information that may affect rights of others, before providing the records, the Records Officer or designee may give notice and allow time for action by the other parties.
- After a request has been filled, if the Records Officer becomes aware of additional documents existing at the time of the request, these will be provided to the requester on an expedited basis.