Check FraudIf you have been a victim of Check Fraud
Step I: Notify your bank
Advise your bank or other financial institution that you have been a victim of fraud, and give them your Fife PD incident number.
Step II: Send checks to your bank
Return all forged and unauthorized checks to your bank or other financial institution, along with a copy of the "Affidavit of Fraud" form.
Step III: Notify check-processing companies.
The listed check companies require copies of the police report; a notarized affidavit of forgery filed with your financial institution; and a copy of your driver license. Advise the agencies you are a victim of check fraud:
- National Check Fraud Service 1-843-571-2143 www.ckfraud.org
- Telecheck 1-800-710-9898 www.telecheck.com
- Global Payments Check Service 1-866-860-9061 www.globalpay.com
- *Chexsystems 1-800-428-9623 www.chexhelp.com
Step IV: Inform Merchants
If the merchant that accepted your forged check contacts you:
- Advise the merchant that you have been the victim of check fraud
- Provide the merchant with your Fife PD incident number
- Send each merchant a copy of the completed "Affidavit of Fraud" form
- Request that each merchant file a police report with their local police department
- Social Security Fraud Hotline 1-800-269-0271