Traffic Infractions FAQ

Infractions – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Being accused of an infraction can be an upsetting experience. We hope this FAQ will be of help in guiding you through the infraction process and take some of the mystery out of the procedures. We have tried to anticipate and answer the more frequently asked questions. If you have any additional questions, don’t hesitate to ask a staff member.
Court Administrator Sally Jacobsen

What is an infraction?
Previously, many traffic and criminal charges were crimes. The Legislature has decriminalized many traffic, parks, wildlife and fisheries offenses. These offenses are now called infractions and are civil cases.

What must I do if I receive an infraction?
Start by reading the entire back side of your notice of infraction (ticket). If you follow the instructions you can’t go wrong! You should note that you must respond within fifteen (15) days of the date that the ticket was issued. An infraction is not a crime, but failure to respond can result in the suspension of your driver’s license and you may be charged with a misdemeanor. You can respond by either mailing the green ticket to the Court or bring it in person to the Clerk’s office. Select one of the boxes on the back of the ticket and verify your address. If you select box one (1) you are electing to pay the amount of the penalty as shown on the front of the ticket. If you need to have the ticket cleared quickly, please pay by cash or money order. A personal check will not close your case and adjudicate the ticket until the check has cleared (approximately 14 days).

What should I wear and how should I act in court?
Suitable attire is required. Shoes and shirts are necessary. Halter tops, tank tops, and shorts are not permitted. Hats are to be removed upon entering the Courtroom. No smoking, food, or drink will be allowed. Children may be present in the Courtroom, but if they disturb the proceedings you may be requested to remove them. The Court does not provide child care. Upon your arrival, find your name on the calendar on the Courtroom door, then have a seat in the Courtroom until the session convenes. You do not need to check with the Clerk unless your name is NOT on the list. When your case is called, come forward and stand behind one of the counsel tables until instructed otherwise by the Judge.

What is a mitigation hearing?
A mitigation hearing is where you admit you committed the violation, but wish to explain the circumstances of the infraction. To request a mitigation hearing you should check box two (2). The Judge, depending on the explanation and your record, may adjust the penalty. However, the Judge will not dismiss your ticket. As the Court is required to forward all committed traffic tickets to the Department of Licensing, it will appear on your driving record.

What is a mitigation hearing by mail?
You may present your circumstances to the Court by mail. Please use the Declaration for Mitigation form, click here. The Court must receive your written statement before the date of your mitigation hearing. You will be notified by mail of the Court’s decision, the penalty amount, and the date that the penalty is due.

What is a contested hearing?
If you believe you did not commit the violation then you should select box three (3) and have a contested hearing. Unless you request the officer to be subpoenaed, the procedure at the hearing will be for the Judge to read the sworn statement of the officer. Then you may testify or present any evidence or witnesses that you wish. If you want to have the officer or any technician present, you must advise the Clerk at the time you present your ticket or as soon thereafter as possible so the hearing can be appropriately scheduled. As a result of a contested hearing, the penalty may stay the same, be reduced, or the ticket dismissed. In the event you have subpoenaed witnesses you may be required to pay court costs. A contested infraction hearing is a civil case and the Judge will decide the case based on the preponderance of the evidence.

What is a contested hearing by mail?
You may present your circumstances to the Court by mail. Please use the Declaration for Contested form, click here. The Court must receive your written statement before the date of your contested hearing. If the infraction is found committed, you have NO right to appeal the court’s decision. You will be notified by mail of the Court’s decision, the penalty amount, and the date that the penalty is due.

What is a deferred finding?
A deferred finding allows for the dismissal of the infraction. Not all cases are eligible for a deferred finding and dismissal. If eligible, the infraction will be dismissed at the end of the time period imposed by the judge if you do not commit any traffic violations and you pay the costs imposed to monitor your case by the due date. A person is only allowed one deferral in a seven-year period for moving violations and only one in a seven-year period for non-moving violations. A finding of committed will be entered with the Department of Licensing if you receive a new violation during the deferral period or you fail to pay the costs by the due date.

May I have a lawyer at a contested hearing?
You may, at your own expense, have a lawyer appear and represent you at your hearing. If you are to be represented by counsel, the lawyer is required to file a notice of appearance with the Court, and the prosecutor, prior to the hearing date. A separate hearing is held when lawyers are involved and it is necessary to have sufficient notice for scheduling.

Is there a right to appeal?
If you do not win at a contested hearing you have the right to appeal to the Superior Court of Pierce County. The notice of appeal must be filed within 30 days of the judgment. There will be various appeal costs, payable in advance, including a $230 Superior Court filing fee, a $40 record processing fee, and the possibility of an appeal bond. If you appeal, the Superior Court will review the record that was made at the Municipal Court, but there will not be a new trial. The Clerk’s Office will provide you with the information about the appellate process and the forms necessary to fill the appeal.

Will a traffic infraction appear on my driving record?
When you pay the penalty, mitigate, or if the Judge finds you have committed a traffic infraction at a contested hearing, the state law requires that the infraction be reported to the Department of Licensing. The infraction will then appear on your driving record. Neither the Court Clerk, nor the Judge, has the authority to keep the infraction off your record. If you win at a contested hearing and the infraction is dismissed, it is not reported to the Department of Licensing and will not appear on your driving record.

What if I do not pay my ticket or appear for a hearing?
A failure to pay or respond to the ticket within 15 days results in an order that the infraction was committed and you may be charged with a misdemeanor. If you asked for a hearing and do not appear, your payment is due immediately. When an infraction is not paid in a timely manner or a hearing is missed, a $52 late penalty is added to the amount shown on the ticket. Your license may then be suspended if the penalty is not paid following a notice to pay the increased penalty, and the account may be assigned to a collection agency.

What about a no liability insurance ticket?
If you receive a ticket for no insurance and you had insurance at the time of the ticket, you may file proof of insurance with the Court Clerk, pay $25 administrative costs, and the charge will then be dismissed and not go on your driving record. If you obtained insurance after you were given the ticket, you may file proof of the insurance with the Court Clerk and your penalty will be reduced to $250 or you may request a mitigation hearing (box 2) to explain the circumstances and show your policy to the Judge. HOWEVER, YOU MUST DO EITHER WITHIN THE 15 DAY RESPONSE TIME.

Can I pay my court legal financial obligations online?
Yes, you can! Simply click here to go to a secure server where you can pay your financial obligations to the Court online.

Correction Notices
If you receive a “correction notice” from the police officer, you have fifteen (15) days to correct your vehicle’s equipment problem. Then have an officer of the Fife Police Department inspect the vehicle, sign the correction notice, and file it with the Court. Once the Clerk receives the signed correction notice, the infraction will be dismissed.

REMEMBER: Failure to respond within 15 days or to appear for a scheduled hearing may result in the suspension of driving privilege, the account may be assigned to a collection agency, and you may be charged with a misdemeanor.

Hearing Impaired
Hearing assistance devices are available at the Fife Municipal Court and may be requested from the Clerk to allow you to better hear the Judge and all details of your case. If a Language Signer is required, please notify the court 14 days prior to your hearing for an interpreter.

Address/Name Changes (RCW46.20.205)
You are required by law to notify the Department of Licensing, in writing, when you change your address and/or your name. You may file this change of address through your local Department of Licensing Office or online at Your correct address and name are the only means of notifying you about problems with your driver’s license.

Prepared by:

Fife Municipal Court
3737 Pacific Highway East
Fife, WA 98424
Phone: (253) 922-6635

The City of Fife is an equal opportunity‎ employer.