Marijuana producing, processing and retail outlets are now allowed only in areas depicted as “Eligible Retail” within the Regional Commercial district subject to state and local regulations to include Title 69 RCW; Chapter 314-55 WAC and other state statutes, have a current City of Fife business license, and are subject to all other applicable requirements of Fife Municipal Code;
Fife lifted the prohibition for the reasons:
- To partner with the state to help disband the unregulated marijuana market and to protect the citizens and resources of the state
- The sales taxes are directed to needed public services to cities that do not prohibit the siting of any state licensed marijuana producer, processor, or retailer.
- Twenty-nine states and the District of Columbia now have laws legalizing marijuana in some form.
- The Puyallup Tribe of Indians opened a Retail Marijuana Outlet in February 2017.
- There is significant evidence to support the position that impacts on local public services are not greater than other retail businesses in the community.